Saturday, 9 November 2013

Update: 5 days without meat; more energy than ever!

My cat would definitely like to exchange her kibbles against my snacks!


Do you ever have that feeling, that you are so strong and energetic, that you could climb mountains, swim oceans and reach the sky? Okay, that might be a little exaggerated. But seriously, if mountains weren't that high, oceans weren't that big and the sky wasn't so unreachable, I think that today (I wrote this on Friday) I definitely could, ehem.

It has been 5 days since I started my almost meatless lifestyle. I say 'almost meatless' because when I'm at home during the weekends, my dad makes dinner, and so that will probably be inevitable meat days (house rule: "Everyone eats the same"). Anyway, during the week I've been trying to replace my meat as dignified as possible. And I must say, I've never felt so light, energetic and powerful in a very long time.

Couscous, feta and pepper salad (recipe will be published!)


The last few weeks university, internship and work were taking all my energy and made me feel very exhausted. But since this week - since I started eating more vegetables (even at lunch!), more fruit (even at breakfast!) and more nuts, seeds and other power foods like goji berries (stay tuned for recipes!) - I'm feeling so clean and healthy ... Yes, I definitely can feel that my body is changing! (That just sounded like a guru.)

And instead of only 3 meals a day (yes, I never ate snacks), I also introduced an afternoon snack, greatest idea ever! My meals are lighter than before (more veggies!), so I have reason to indulge myself with a delicious snack (examples coming soon!).



So today, I thought I should go for a run since the sun made his appearance again. It has been raining the whole week what kept me inside, wrapped up in a blanket, crying ... okay, the crying isn't true ... Normally, if I'm having a good day, I run 5 km, maximum. But today, I just couldn't believe it. After one and a half week of no training, I ran no less than 10 kilometers! Yes, TEN, that's double as usual! It felt like I could go on and on and on, no effort (only a little hunger because it was near lunch time). Unbelievable! Pat pat on my shoulder, yay!

I can't believe that changing my diet would have such a big impact on my well-being ... and I've only just begun. I hope this feeling will last forever! Is this wishful thinking?

Have you ever tried to eat less meat? What were your experiences and findings?


Have a lovely weekend!
Love,
Sofie

11 comments:

  1. I tried out being fully vegetarian for two weeks straight and I went really well for the first week but then I just crumbled. I guess I have just loved meat for too long to give it up so easily. This year I've really changed my eating habits for the better and I normally have 2/3 serves of fruit with breakfast, one for a morning snack, one with lunch (which is always packed with veggies) and one for afternoon tea. People in the "fitness" world seem to be so scared of fruit because of all the "sugar" but EXCUSE ME! Bad sugar and the sugar in fruit are not the same thing! Nobody should be afraid of eating as much fruit as they want! I also only ever have meat with dinner now, and it's definitely changed me this year!

    Here's hoping your energy continues. If you find it dropping change up what you eat a little bit!

    x Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, thank you very much for this honest and personal comment! I really like hearing other people's experiences. My opinion about fruit is exactly the same. Fruit sugar is NOT the same as bad refined sugars! I could eat fruit the whole day :)
      Thanks again, this means a lot! x

      Delete
  2. good for you! i think that people are stuck in idea of eating meat and don't understand that sometimes you don't have to eat it! hoping for even more energy in your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That salad looks really yummy! :)
    Sounds like a great idea, I should probably start eating more healthy too but I'm not a big fruit/veg fan!

    sophie-said.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you've had a really good week Sofie. Well done with your running - it's so satisfying when you can push yourself further!

    Also, your salad looks delicious by the way!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't eat any meat over the summer and I felt like you so energized and light but my hair was suffering and I slowly started eating meat again. I want to give it a go again but this time see an nutrtionist first to help me with supplements. I wish you good luck!!

    http://welldressed25.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'll have to check back to see if you post any recipes, as i find it really to enjoy food without meat! it just never feels as filling (as a main meal, not lunch). good luck with it all!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. enter my new giveaway to win some skincare from origins! click here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried once but it wasn't very nice. It was long 30 days and I was missing meat a lot. To be honest, I wasn't trying hard enough. I was looking for excuses I think more than anything else. But climbing the mountains, swimming the ocean and reaching the sky.....so much of energy. I may have to try again and this thine put in extra effort and focus on the positive side rather than looking for negatives :)

    Lovely post girl

    Naaj Ronas Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blog! I'm a new follower here on GFC :) I'm not a vegetarian but in comparison to my family & friends, I "rarely" eat meat. I do have eggs pretty frequently in the mornings but beside that, I probably only eat meat 2-3x a month and it's usually fish my brother has caught or local chicken. I've been this way since I was a child. I think it's just important to listen to your body and pay attention to what it's saying. Even if you do start to crave meat, just reducing the overall portion will probably keep up your energy level and provide nutrition without weighing you down. Good luck!

    atelier zozo

    atelier zozo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Arica, for your lovely comments! They really mean a lot! x

      Delete

Thank you for your lovely comment!