Friday, 6 December 2013

Coconut Granola bar



The fact that I'm nuts about nuts, is no secret. Making Granola bars is therefore for a very long time on my to-do list. Last Sunday, it was le moment suprême. And for making my first ever granola bar, I used a very special ingredient: fresh coconut. But you can either make it using shredded coconut! No worries :)

My grandmother had won a fruit basket in some tombola (or raffle or lottery, however you'd like to call it). And for some reason, they had put a fresh coconut in the basket. Seriously, who does that? The tombola was organised by a retirees association. Which ancient man or woman is able or willing to open a coconut? I can tell you, you really have to use some violence to get that thing open!

First push a metallic skewer through 2 eyes (1 is soft, the other 2 are a bit harder to get through) and let the water out.
Then I tried cleaving the nut by firmingly tapping on its equator, but that didn't work. So a hammer, violence and help from my dad it was.
Once the meat is out of the outer shell, you only need to peel off the inner husk.


Anyway, my grandmother gave me the coconut and I was as happy as can be. I had never tasted a fresh coconut before and was very excited to try it out. And did you know that coconuts are very good for you? You can read all about it in my previous post!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Ingredients (12 bars):

1 cup oats
the meat of 1 fresh coconut (in little cubes) or 1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup of almonds (coarsely chopped)
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 tbsp whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Line a pan with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, coconut, flour, flax seeds, chopped almonds and salt and mix very thoroughly until combined. In a small bowl, combine honey and coconut oil and pop in the oven on low heat, interim stirring, until the coconut oil is melted. Stir vanilla extract into the coconut oil mixture. Then pour the entire mixture over the dry ingredients.

Using a spoon, stir until all of the ingredients are wet. Press the dough into the pan, pressing with the back of the spoon to smooth the top. Place in the refrigerator for at least 90 minutes, then remove and cut into squares.



Attack immediately or keep covered in the fridge for later consumption.

All credits go to Jessica from 'How sweet it is' for this amazing recipe! Her pictures are a thousand times better than mine. Ehem, I still have a lot to learn!

Do you like granola bars? Have you ever eaten fresh coconut?


Love,
Sofie

10 comments:

  1. Mniamiiii ;D I like it;d
    I fallow you (57)

    http://kappa-girl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks all kinds of delicious! My internet browser is now full of bookmarked recipes from your blog, Sofie!

    Hayfa
    www.londonloafers.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you very much, Hayfa! So nice to hear. This really means a lot to me! x

      Delete
  3. It looks so good♥ Lovely blog(:

    allaboutjoann.blogspot.com

    -JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello delicious! Everything about this recipe sounds scrumptious. That whole fresh coconut thing looks ambitious, but I'm sure would be purely amazing. Thanks for sharing :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm these look and sound delicious! I love coconut flakes and almonds, I may have to give these a go :)Rachel x

    Pillar-box Post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What can I say? ... intimidates me! Look yummy!
    Great post! I congratulate the ability and talent to curiosity to me!
    I will always be coming back for more: *


    Regards,
    Katherine Unique


    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this looks great!
    Would you like to follow each other on GFC, bloglovin and facebook? It would be great just let me know :)

    Kisses,
    Maria
    http://retrostreetstation.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your food recipes always look so gorgeous Sofie! I'll have to try some of them out for myself, definitely need some elbow grease for that coconut though haha! Hope you're well xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!