Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Eating healthy & the environment - On my mind ...



If it were up to me, I ate healthy every day, without any difficulty. Seriously, I enjoy healthy food way more than sweets, soda, cookies, burgers, ... you name it. Healthy food makes me feel good, makes me happy and it tastes amazing! And from experience I know that many people don't think that's normal. They say that I am too hard on myself and that I'm not enjoying my life the way I should (read: the way THEY think I should). Usually the idea also comes that I eat healthy because they think I feel too fat and want to lose weight. Many times I tried to explain that that really is NOT the reason ... but I can assure you, no one will ever believe that and you get nothing but strange looks. Oh well ...

I think people can get really frustrated seeing you eating healthy food so easily and most of all seeing you enjoying it. This results in them asking you: "Is it tasty? Are you enjoying that?", "Have you got enough with that?" or, the worst "Eek, what's that? That looks groce!" when you are eating an avocado. Maybe you never get these reactions I'm getting, but I live in a student house with lots of farmers (farmer students) and all they can think of is meat and traditional food. Sigh

Sometimes people make me feel that eating healthy is a sin. It feels like I always have to justify why I eat something. There are students here who eat pizza and spaghetti (ready made sauce from a jar, bleh!) every single day - like every.single.day - and no one says anything about that. Because eating pizza and spaghetti every day is normal, right?

So if someone would ask me if I think that eating healthy is difficult, then I will say yes. But only because other people are trying to stop you from eating healthy. I really think that that is the hardest part of trying to live a more healthy life, the criticism of others. I don't understand why they won't just let you eat and do what you want and stop judging, because you don't judge their way of living either, or do you? There is nothing wrong with eating healthy and taking care of yourself if this is what truly makes you feel good.



I find it sometimes really difficult to stand up for what I believe in. But from this moment on, I won't eat "crap" anymore, just to please others, if I don't want to. Yes, I am definitely that kind of person (ehem, pathetic). A wise lesson to myself: "Be yourself, love yourself, and start acting like it."

Is anyone else experiencing the same as me? Vegetarians, vegans? How do you deal with that? 

Your experiences would mean the world to me, knowing that I'm not the only one! Thank you very much for reading!


Love,
Sofie

22 comments:

  1. I'm exactly the same and definitely prefer healthy food over junk food. I do like a nice greasy burger every now and then though ha! I love fruit and veg above all things though - when I go out for food I almost always go for the veggie option!
    xxx

    www.salted-roses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXACT same experience over here! I've been eating super healthy since January this year and I love it so much! I used to hate things like mushrooms, spinach and pawpaw but now they're just some of the things that I eat nearly every day! I find it hardest when I go out for dinner or have sleepovers with friends. Yesterday I had a sleepover with my best friend and I was CRAVING some fruit! I normally have heaps of fruit a day, so going from that to not having any was the worst! She also made us icecream with broken chocolate pieces in it to eat and I didn't particularly want it but I ate it anyway in fear of seeming rude! I really need to learn that how I eat is perfectly okay and it is alright to say no! (as long as you're not saying no out of fear, but instead because you truly just do not feel like eating whatever they're offering).

    I find that as well as people judging me for loving healthy food, I also get judged for those occasions where I feel like eating something else. For example my mum made an apple pie for dessert the other night, and I don't normally have dessert after dinner, but that night I just FELT like having some. So I asked for a piece and my mother made the BIGGEST deal out of it! "I can't believe you want some" "But you never eat dessert" It's like she doesn't understand that I'm not on a diet, I simply enjoy to eat healthy food more than I enjoy eating junk.

    I've gained such an appreciation for food this year that I didn't have before. Is it so bad that I want to eat healthy, natural foods that nourish me are delicious and keep me feeling great? These days if I eat too many sweets I wake up with the worst headache and feeling groggy all day. No Thankyou!

    Sorry that was so long!
    x Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate to this, Erin! Thank you so much for this honest and personal comment. I'm so glad to read that I'm not the only one going through this.
      Nights out with friends I think are the worst. For some reason they always want to eat unhealthy sweet or greasy food and expect you to do the same. I always find it hard to say no and mostly end up eating things I don't like, and I always feel very bad afterwards.
      Hopefully I will be strong enough to stand up for what I want and stop living to please others.
      Thanks a lot, Erin!

      Delete
  3. Beside eat healthy food, I also use bicycle for my daily transportation, for the sake of my health and a little love for the earth :)
    I love your writing, it's interesting, and I hope a lot more people -esp. young people- inspired by this post.

    http://starsnapshot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. i also prefer to have healthy vs junk :) Would you like to follow each other on GFC and Bloglovin both :) xx
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think i will go vegan next year, i always wanted to be a healthy eater but just can't, that's why being a vegan is on the top of my resolutions :)

    Visit my blog: Blossoming Wallflower

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im trying to do this too, but is so hard sometimes that I can't control myself and eat some fries :SS

    A chic kiss from http://justohana.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi dear thanks for following me on GFC !! i have followed you back on GFC and on Bloglovin :) please follow me on Bloglovin also :) so if we don't have GFC we can still be in touch :) xx
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer healthy food over junkfood as well, I just don't like to think that all that junk comes in my body.

    xo Mel
    Selfhelp | Inspiration | Positivity

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow I can relate so much to this. When I'm eating lunch at college or work I choose to eat maybe 3 portions of fruit along with a sandwich and everyone looks at me like i am committing a crime!! They're like 'ooh is that all you're eating?' just because it isn't lots of chocolate and crisps doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it, it doesn't mean the food just doesn't exist and amounts to nothing, and no i'm not on a diet (??)... I'm just eating healthy! It really angers me sometimes haha. It's so easy to eat healthy and just because it's not seen as 'the norm' anymore people get really weirded out.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Amy, for this personal comment! I understand exactly what you're saying. I hate those judging reactions, they really make me feel sad. I really enjoy eating healthy. They can say what they want, I'll only listen to my body from now on! x

      Delete
  10. You have a Lovely Blog. This is such a meaningful post.
    Care to follow each other GFC and Bloglovin?
    http://icynosure.blogspot.in/2013/12/winter-make-up-trends.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Urrrgh I know exactly what you mean about people questioning you about eating healthy! It's so annoying, surely it should be the other way round!? Rachel x

    www.pillarbox-post.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, is really should be the other way round!

      Delete
  12. Hi,

    Would you like to follow each other on G+, GFC and Bloglovin?

    vivianista.com

    ReplyDelete

  13. Loved your post, your blog is Wonderful and always come back here to see what's new. Kisses




    http://sbrincos.blogspot.com.br

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just loved this post Sofie! And I know what you mean about constantly having to justify your eating preferences! I kind fell off the healthy-eating wagon a little while ago but I'm getting back on it, january 1st!

    Happy holidays!

    Hayfa
    www.londonloafers.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think like you do that there is nothing wrong with eating healthy and taking care of yourself. It should be clear and obvious truth for everyone,

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post girl, and remember: What other people think of you is NONE of your business:)
    I'm all into eating healthy too because it makes ME feel good! great and inspirational post

    xxx www.JessieJill.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have such a cute blog! Lets stay in touch!Follow each other?? Do follow and let me know, will follow you right back! ^_^ Gfc, bloglovin & g+ ?? http://the-glamorous-diva.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey hey.
    I'm very happy you liked my little space - Preppy Lemonade. Many surprises are being prepared so put a like on the official page(https://www.facebook.com/PreppyLemonade?fref=ts) of the blog and follow the blog trough bloglovin (http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/9725179/preppy-lemonade)so you don't miss anything!!

    With love, Bárbara
    www.preppylemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totally agree! I think it's important to feel like you CAN eat crap when you want to, but it's just a fact that eating healthily makes you feel better than any junk food does. Once people realise what it feels like to have a genuinely healthy diet, it's very hard to go back imo. No one, healthy or 'normal', should be too preachy either way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!