Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Natural hair mask ~ Coconut oil, honey & egg



Hello You!

I have a very interesting DIY for you today! Even though I can't really be seen as a role model when it comes to beauty blogging (I only recently discovered the purpose of a cleanser, ha!), I do like to pamper myself every now and then :) And speaking of pampering, my hair is definitely the first thing that needs to be taken care of! Yep, definitely.

So after doing a little research, I managed to find some good healthy hair food:

- Coconut oil: repairs dry damaged hair, increases strength, improves shine
- Honey: moisturizes, softens and smoothes
- Eggs: moisturizes, repairs damaged hair, prevents breakage, improves shine

All mixed together ... sounds like perfection!



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
What do you need:

1 egg
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1/2 tablespoon of honey
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you are blessed with longer and thicker hair than me, you might need a little bit more (although I only needed less than half of the mixture I'd prepared).

Step 1:
Melt the coconut oil and honey together in a cup. You can do this either in the microwave, or like me, by placing the cup in some hot water (bain marie). 



Step 2:
Add the raw egg and mix well together.

Step 3:
First make sure you are wearing a bad shirt. Things might get a little sticky :)
Comb your hair through and apply the mask to dry hair. First, section your hair off and apply generously to the ends where most damage occurs. Wrap your hair in a bun and cover with a shower cap to help hold in the heat. I let the mask soak in for almost 4 hours! But if you do this more regularly, 30 to 40 minutes will do the job!
Wash the mask out in the shower using your regular shampoo and conditioner routine. I actually washed my hair twice, just to make sure I wouldn't be mistaken for a walking coconut (I'm so funny).




The result:
I definitely felt a difference! Before using the mask, my hair was very dry and dull. After rinsing out the mask, I immediately noticed a softer and smoother feeling. Also, my mum immediately told me my hair looked a lot shinier than before.
Another thing that struck me is that my hair seems to be lighter, blonder. At first I thought it was just due to the light. But also the day after, in miserable dark weather, my hair looked a little lighter than usual. Google told me that honey also acts as a natural lightener. Aaah, problem solved. Thanks google.

One thing that I didn't like about this mask was the stickiness of the honey, which has helped me with losing some precious hair. To avoid that, it's best to gently knead the mask into your hair instead of rubbing it on the ends (like I did, obviously).

After taking lots of selfies, this is the best one I could come up with, hm ... But you can at least see that my hair looks quite shiny :)



Have you ever tried this, or another natural hair mask? Please let me know!


Love,
Sofie

11 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing recipe for the mask! And your hair looks completly different, healthier :)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try it!!!:)
    Www.thewalkingfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to try out a hair mask for awhile now... will definitely have to remember this one! Thanks for sharing!!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The before and after is incredible! I'd like to find a variation of this, without the egg/honey (both not vegan) but I'm sure it wouldn't have the same results. Your hair looks really shiny and healthy nonetheless!
    xo, Sarah Holt

    xosarahholt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Sarah! Avocado also seems to be good for your hair. I really want to give that a try as well (if I succeed in not eating him first, yummy!) x

      Delete
  5. i've been hearing such positive things about coconut oil for the hair - and good to know that honey is a lightner :) your hair looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love DIY recipes, your hair looks a lot healthier afterwards so I will definitely give this a go!

    xo Mélane
    Selfhelp | Inspiration | Motivation

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spa day for your hair! I like the idea of the honey being a natural lightener. I'll have to try it!

    Allison Katelyn @ http://SimpleSilverLinings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. its an awesome hair mask :) my mom used to make it for me :) xx
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hair looks great! I'm going to have to try this!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm soo going to try it, your hair looks so healthy after it xxxx thanks for sharing
    Laura | Tease Flutter Pout

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!